Joining nmcn will open a door full of opportunities, where our people are nurtured for success and empowered to build their own adventure. We believe in your development, potentiality and growth. We aspire to be industry leading with renewed focus on having a positive impact on everything we touch.
We work in partnership and collaboration with our customers, to deliver major built environment and critical national infrastructure projects across the UK. Our specialist engineering and construction teams bring multi-sector innovation and technical skill – from building and highways, to large-scale water networks and treatment plants.
We have opportunities for Mechanical Design Engineers of varying levels of experience to be based from one of our South West offices.
Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team headed by a Design Manager, you will be responsible for the production of outline and detailed civil design deliverables on a wide range of AMP7 infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects.
What you’ll be doing day to day
- Ascertaining Clients requirements either through reference to their specification documents or more likely through visiting sites with their nominated personnel. A key requirement is the ability to determine the actual operational requirement and propose appropriate solutions.
- Working alongside the Design Manager/senior designer (team lead) and where applicable the Project Manager to ensure scheme designs are value engineered and adhere to client specifications whilst retaining appropriate levels of operational security and full compliance with all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
- To promote innovation and challenge parties involved to ensure cost effectiveness in all design activities.
- To provide outline and detailed engineering from inception to completion of schemes utilising our design partners, individual knowledge, site installation and construction personnel.
- To closely coordinate design production between nmcn’s in house design teams, external design companies, our suppliers and subcontractors and where applicable our clients designers.
- To ensure all design work is completed to agreed programmes, financial budgets and KPI’s.
- Liaison with client’s engineering staff or where applicable their design consultants to ensure designs are approved In accordance with the timescales stipulated within the contract.
- Attend internal and external design reviews and where applicable progress meetings.
The experience we're looking for in a candidate
- An industry applicable ONC/HNC/B.Eng or NVQ equivalent
- Experience and understanding of water and sewage treatment processes
- Commercial and contractual awareness
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Self motivation
- Be able to organise yourself and others workload
- Be proactive in your approach
- An excellent communicator
- A high level of diplomacy and customer focused
- Experience with AutoCAD software would be an advantage
- Conversant with hydraulic calculations including but not limited to pipelines, pump duties
The personal attributes we're looking for
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Experience in a fast paced, national and multi-site business
- Self starter who has the ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
What we can offer you
- Competitive Salary
- Company car / Car allowance
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Holiday trading scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Perks at work scheme (discount from high street retailers)
- Free eye test vouchers
- Employee share scheme
- 3x life assurance
- Free Parking
- Flexible Working
- 5% enhanced pension contribution
Please note – we may have to close applications to this role sooner than anticipated based on the number of applications received.