Joining nmcn will open a door full of opportunities, where our people are nurtured for success and empowered to build their own adventure. We believe in your development, potentiality and growth. We aspire to be industry leading with renewed focus on having a positive impact on everything we touch.
We work in partnership and collaboration with our customers, to deliver major built environment and critical national infrastructure projects across the UK. Our specialist engineering and construction teams bring multi-sector innovation and technical skill – from building and highways, to large-scale water networks and treatment plants.
An opportunity has arisen for a Design Manager based in the South East of England, who will be responsible for the production and management of designs for Process / Mechanical / Electrical and Combined schemes, predominately for Capital Maintenance in the water industry
What you’ll be doing day to day
- Working alongside the Head of Design to ensure scheme designs are value engineered and adhere to client specifications.
- To provide outline and detailed engineering from inception to completion of schemes utilising our design partners, in-house resources, site installation and construction personnel.
- Ascertaining Clients requirements either through reference to their specification documents or more likely through visiting sites with their nominated personnel. A key requirement is the ability to determine the actual operational requirement and propose appropriate solutions.
- To ensure scheme designs are value engineered, whilst retaining appropriate levels of operational security and full compliance with all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
- To lead and promote innovation, challenging our Clients, design partners and the supply chain to ensure cost effectiveness in both our design solutions and all design activities.
- To line manage the Regional Design Team
- To mentor and develop the Design Leads (as applicable), and Design Engineers.
- To prepare financial budgets and programmes for design activities.
- To prepare tender documentation, quotations, and contracts in conjunction with the Project Delivery team and Business Development Manager
- To ensure all design work is completed to agreed programmes and financial budgets.
- Ascertain preliminary and detailed design / project requirements and solutions.
- Liaison with client’s engineering staff or where applicable their design consultants to ensure designs are approved in accordance with the timescales stipulated within the contract.
- Attend internal and external design reviews and where applicable progress meetings.
The experience we’re looking for in a candidate
- Industry applicable degree
- Chartered Engineer (preferred)
- Knowledge of water and sewage treatment processes
- Experienced in managing a team of professional engineers
- Commercial and contractual awareness
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages
The personal attributes we're looking for in a candidate
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Experience in a fast paced, national and multi-site business
- Self starter who has the ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
What we can offer you
- Competitive Salary
- Company car / Car allowance
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Holiday trading scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Perks at work scheme (discount from high street retailers)
- Free eye test vouchers
- Employee share scheme
- 3x life assurance
- Free Parking
- Flexible Working
- 5% enhanced pension contribution