Joining nmcn will open a door full of opportunities, where our people are nurtured for success and empowered to build their own adventure. We believe in your development, potentiality and growth. We aspire to be industry leading with renewed focus on having a positive impact on everything we touch.
nmcn’s Design and Technical Services Group provides engineering services to the Water, Mining, and Industrial sectors via long-term design & build frameworks with the UK Water Companies, and consultancy contracts with industrial minerals clients in the UK and internationally.
We are seeking to recruit a Head of Process Solutions to lead our UK-wide process team, overseeing all process engineering design and consultancy work across the business, assuring quality and compliance of our process solutions from concept through to commissioning and operations. The role also involves taking a lead in the growth of our asset optimisation services, working with in-house and client operations teams, to identify and realise operational efficiency opportunities.
The Head of Process Solutions will be the company’s leading specialist in process engineering supporting delivery of all process related projects. The role reports to the Managing Director of the Technical Services Division within nmcn Water, but responsibilities span across all divisions. The Head of Process Solutions will have responsibility for the technical development of nmcn’s process capability, including line management of the process team. The role also requires involvement in business development activities, engaging with clients at senior levels to demonstrate our process expertise, and supporting work winning activities.
What you’ll be doing day to day
- Promote a culture of “safety first”, in both the welfare of our people, and ensuring that process designs are compliant with legislative and client standards, and nmcn procedures, and are safe to install/construct, commission, operate, maintain and decommission.
- Implement recognised good practice in Process Safety Management.
- Personal compliance with current nmcn policy, relevant legislation, nmcn and client’s requirements for Health, Safety, Environmental and Well-being matters and to work in such a manner not to cause personal harm or injury to fellow workers, client and subcontractors employees or the environment.
- Provide leadership of all process staff including line management of Process Manager(s).
- Lead the technical development of nmcn’s process capabilities, driving innovation and continuous improvement to place nmcn at the forefront of its chosen industries.
- Investigate innovative process / technology solutions from external sources and via internal R&D
- Ensure the Process Team have the requisite technical skills and experience necessary for delivering process engineering, and that they are deployed appropriately, taking swift action to resolve any competence or performance issues.
- Identify and lead the organisation of training and development for the Process Team.
- Lead on the recruitment of process engineering staff into nmcn.
- Provide and/or facilitate process expertise at the outset of projects helping shape the strategy for design and delivery, and providing ongoing support via involvement in regular design reviews, challenging solutions to promote innovation and maximise TOTEX, minimise carbon and water footprint of solutions, and ensuring integration of process engineering design requirements into the overall engineering design.
- Supervise design work carried out by the Process Team and assure technical governance across all process design work through ensuring correct application of design standards, specifications, manuals, research, and theory and via rigorous checking and approval of process design work by competent staff, including acting as approver where necessary.
- Supervise and where necessary undertake technical reviews of process technology and equipment from suppliers
- Evaluate process risk and associated commercial risk of process guarantees at all stages of projects, i.e. from tender onwards, and identify and manage deviations from process specification/contractual requirements to protect nmcn’s commercial interests.
- Provide process engineering expertise throughout construction, installation and commissioning phases of projects, including an active involvement in the planning of process commissioning.
- Build and foster good working relationships with the regional design and delivery teams, and promote a collaborative culture in all activities.
- Ensure process support is provided to tendering teams in the development of win strategies for new work opportunities and into technical proposals and producing 'man-hour' estimates for process design work.
- Build and maintain relationships with key partners including clients, suppliers, academia.
- Lead the development of nmcn’s Asset Optimisation service offering, liaising across all divisions to create a compelling market proposition, and engage with clients to shape profitable market opportunities.
- Work collaboratively with tendering, technical services, design and delivery teams to produce winning bids to secure Asset Optimisation projects.
- Play a leading role in the delivery of Asset Optimisation projects.
The experience we’re looking for in a candidate
- First degree in Chemical Engineering or suitable equivalent.
- Chartered Engineer and member of a relevant engineering institution e.g. IChemE, IMechE, IET.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience including significant experience of water and wastewater treatment in an engineering consultancy or contracting environment.
- At least 5 years’ experience of holding senior management positions, responsible for process engineering function
- Fully conversant and an expert in process safety and sustainability, with extensive experience of Process Safety Management, HAZOP and CDM Regulations, and awareness of Functional Safety Management including SIL Classification using LOPA.
- Competent in the project delivery stages from enquiry through to final handover, with a clear demonstrated understanding of the hold and review points to ensure a robust design.
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of process engineering, including mass balance, data analysis, design calculations, technology selection, major equipment and package datasheet specification, process flow diagrams, process design philosophies and P&ID’s
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the design, installation, commissioning, operation and optimisation of treatment processes, including water, wastewater, aggregates, mineral extraction / beneficiation / transportation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the regulatory environments, in particular the UK water sector.
- Good knowledge of relevant industry codes, standards and guidelines for the water and industrial minerals sectors.
- Sound understanding and wide-ranging experience of the full project lifecycle from concept through to de-commissioning.
The personal attributes we're looking for in a candidate
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Experience in a fast paced, national and multi-site business
- Self starter who has the ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
- Technical risk management including Process Impact Assessment
- Excellent software skills
What we can offer you
- Competitive Salary
- Company car / Car allowance
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Private Healthcare
- Holiday trading scheme
- Perks at work scheme (discount from high street retailers)
- Free eye test vouchers
- Employee share scheme
- 3x life assurance
- Free Parking
- Flexible Working
- 5% enhanced pension contribution