Joining nmcn will open a door full of opportunities, where our people are nurtured for success and empowered to build their own adventure. We’re always adapting, evolving and innovating. Our purpose, culture and values are extremely important to us, along with the continued growth and opportunities for our people. We place people at the heart of what we do and aspire to be industry leading, with renewed focus on having a positive impact on everything we touch.
We work in partnership and collaboration with our customers, to deliver major built environment and critical national infrastructure projects across the UK. Our specialist engineering and construction teams bring multi-sector innovation and technical skill – from building and highways, to large-scale water networks and treatment plants.
nmcn are working across the UK water sector helping water companies solve their AMP6 challenges and engaging on solutions for AMP7. We not only design and build but manufacture equipment, and provide a complete service offering to our clients from conception, through design, manufacture and construction to optimisation and operation, delivering best value and innovation. Our 12 regional offices, factories and workshops enable us to provide a local often ‘one stop shop’ service to our customers promoting sustainable working relationships
Our delivery teams in the North of England support a variety of water clients that include Yorkshire Water, United Utilities, Welsh Water (DCWW), South Staffordshire Water (including Cambridge Water), and Affinity Water
A prestigious opportunity has arisen in our design department to form an integral part a growing multi-disciplinary team of Principal Engineers whose function is to drive technical excellence, ensure design best practice and seek design innovation
As Principal Civil Engineer located in the North of England you will report to the Head of Design. You will be based in either our Warrington or Normanton office but crucially will be responsible for leading our civil design function and output from both locations to support all of our clients in the North, and potentially beyond. As you will see, this is predominantly a technical role and we are seeking candidates with significant experience and a strong track record in technical design delivery in the water industry
What you’ll be doing day to day
- Technical leadership for the civil design function effectively responsible for managing and further developing sub-processes and civil design activities we undertake
- Ensuring technical excellence – working across design teams to you will seek optimum solutions and drive our teams to produce efficient designs that balance capital and operational costs and benefits, identifying and managing opportunities and risks, promoting innovation in our outputs, and ensuring that procedural technical governance is adhered to
- Industry practice champion – you will be responsible for ensuring that applicable industry standards and codes of practice are upheld, and working with designers, ensure that they abide by client particular specifications and requirements.
- Design for safe construction and operation – working with our wider project delivery teams you will ensure that health and safety is at the heart of what we do, safeguarding our workforce, our clients’ personnel and the public by implementing designs that can be safely and efficiently built, commissioned, optimised, operated and decommissioned
- Responsible for ensuring that these issues are identified, avoided, reduced, or safely managed, through technical governance and risk and opportunity management. Lessons learnt on projects, both good and bad must be fed back and promoted or avoided on future schemes.
- Technical development of staff by sharing and imparting knowledge to our teams as this is the need to mentor and develop our expanding design team.
- Encourage and support development of our staff towards professional accreditation and chartered status, as well as STEM engagement with local schools, colleges and universities to encourage engineering as a career.
The experience we’re looking for in a candidate
- Industry applicable BEng, BSc or equivalent in a civil discipline
- Significant experience and understanding of water and sewage treatment and their component processes
- Extensive water industry civil design expertise
- Working knowledge of CDM
- Commercial and contractual awareness and the implications of design in effective project delivery
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and / or Google software packages
- The ability to work in a busy environment under pressure
- Chartered Engineer (or able and ready to progress to chartered status)
- Experience with AutoCAD, Revit and FEA software’s would be an advantage
The personal attributes we're looking for in a candidate
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Experience in a fast paced, national and multi-site business
- Self starter who has the ability to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines
What we can offer you
- Comptitive Salary
- Company Car Scheme
- 5% pension contribution
- 3x salary life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Holiday Trading
- Flexible working
- Free parking
- Perks at work (discount at High Street retailers)