At nmcn we’re always adapting, evolving and innovating. Our vision and values are extremely important to us, along with the continued growth and opportunity for our people. We place people at the heart of what we do, and work in partnership with our clients and customers to deliver major built environment and critical national infrastructure projects across the UK. Our specialist engineering and construction teams bring multi-sector innovation and technical skill – from building and highways, to large-scale water networks and treatment plants.
At nmcn we are working across the UK water sector helping water companies solve their AMP6 challenges and engaging on solutions for AMP7. We have recently been appointed by South West Water (SWW) as their Capital Works Framework partner for up to 10 years, as well as re-securing our role as a MEICA partner.
We have opportunities for Mechanical Design Engineers of varying levels of experience ranging from Graduate to Principal to be based from one of our South West offices. Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team headed by a Design Manager, you will be responsible for the production of outline and detailed civil design deliverables on a wide range of AMP7 infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects.
What you’ll be doing day to day
- Ascertaining Clients requirements either through reference to their specification documents or more likely through visiting sites with their nominated personnel. A key requirement is the ability to determine the actual operational requirement and propose appropriate solutions.
- Working alongside the Design Manager/senior designer (team lead) and where applicable the Project Manager to ensure scheme designs are value engineered and adhere to client specifications whilst retaining appropriate levels of operational security and full compliance with all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
- To promote innovation and challenge parties involved to ensure cost effectiveness in all design activities.
- To provide outline and detailed engineering from inception to completion of schemes utilising our design partners, individual knowledge, site installation and construction personnel.
- To closely coordinate design production between Nomenca’s in house design teams, external design companies, our suppliers and subcontractors and where applicable our clients designers.
- To ensure all design work is completed to agreed programmes, financial budgets and KPI’s.
- Liaison with client’s engineering staff or where applicable their design consultants to ensure designs are approved In accordance with the timescales stipulated within the contract.
- Attend internal and external design reviews and where applicable progress meetings
What we're looking for in a candidate
- An industry applicable ONC/HNC/B.Eng or NVQ equivalent
- Experience and understanding of water and sewage treatment processes
- Commercial and contractual awareness
- Working knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Self motivation
- Be able to organise yourself and others workload
- Be proactive in your approach
- An excellent communicator
- A high level of diplomacy and customer focused
- Experience with AutoCAD software would be an advantage
- Conversant with hydraulic calculations including but not limited to pipelines, pump duties
The personal attributes we're looking for in a candidate
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Proven Commercial management skills with a proactive approach to achieving results
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
- Proven influencing and negotiation skills to both internal and external stakeholders
- Self-starter who has experience of leading and managing functions
What we can offer you
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Company Car or Allowance
- Holiday Trading Scheme
- Perks at work scheme (discount at High Street retailers)
- Free eye test vouchers
- Employee share scheme
- 3x life assurance
- 5% enhanced pension contribution