Joining nmcn will open a door full of opportunities, where our people are nurtured for success and empowered to build their own adventure. We believe in your development, potentiality and growth. We aspire to be industry leading with renewed focus on having a positive impact on everything we touch.
We work in partnership and collaboration with our customers, to deliver major built environment and critical national infrastructure projects across the UK. Our specialist engineering and construction teams bring multi-sector innovation and technical skill – from building and highways, to large-scale water networks and treatment plants.
An opportunity has arisen for an Assistant Quantity Surveyor to work within our Highways team.
What you'll be doing day to day
- Assist in the drafting and updating of CTC’s in conjunction with Project Managers.
- Attend internal and external commercial review meetings.
- Negotiating with suppliers and subcontractors.
- Manage the commercial aspects of subcontract accounts from procurement to interim and final account agreement with significant input from the site managers.
- Input into final account negotiations achieving the best possible outcome for the company.
- Assist in the preparation / evaluation / submission of claims for varied works.
- Working with the commercial and operational teams to strive for continuous improvement.
- Maximizing value and minimizing cost, ensuring that appropriate controls are in place to monitor and manage the operating cost base.
- Manage commercial performance against business targets and KPI’s.
- Work with construction teams to identify and manage variances to budgets and report this information as required.
- Promote a culture of integration, continuous improvement and use of best practice across the client base.
- Ensure that the group commercial policies are adhered to and that the requirements of legislation are met.
- Ensuring that cash flow is maximized including ensuring that payments are received on time.
- Assist in the preparation of management information required and take responsibility for the accuracy of said information (Provisions, cashflows, CTC’s, applications, variations etc)
- Input to Change Control processes on live contracts, identifying, notifying, pricing and the agreement of variations as they arise.
- Upload documentation as and when necessary in line with business requirements.
- Working within the operational teams to deliver and manage performance against forecasts.
- Assist in the updating of the Approved Vendor List for suppliers and subcontractors.
- Updating commercial schedules and documents with information supplied by commercial teams.
- Assisting the operational and commercial teams to deliver and manager performance.
- Preparation of monthly management and financial performance reports.
The experience we're looking for in a candidate
- Commercial and contractual awareness
- A good level of computer skills
- A good level of competency of Microsoft packages
- Self-motivation, passion and a driven ‘can do’ attitude
- Be able to organise yourself and others workload
- Be proactive in your approach
- An excellent communicator
- A high level of diplomacy and customer focused
- The ability to anticipate problems and ensure early intervention
The personal attributes we're looking for in a candidate
- Promote a culture of integration, continuous improvement and use of best practice across the client base
- Desire to understand and promote the Company purpose, vision, values and culture
- Trustworthy and ethical approach, exercising discretion where required
- Organised, structured and professional, with a passion for excellence
- Flexibility, resilience and the ability to influence and build relationships at all levels
- Commitment to the provision of excellent customer service
What we can offer you
- Competitive Salary
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Holiday trading scheme
- Perks at work scheme (discount from high street retailers)
- Free eye test vouchers
- Employee share scheme
- 3x life assurance
- Free Parking
- Flexible Working
- 5% enhanced pension contribution